Thursday, April 10, 2014

There is No Movement Without Rhythm

There is no movement without rhythm.

Think about that for a moment.  Is it true?  Certainly rhythm can spark movement, but the other way around?

Perhaps it’s true but we are unaware of it.  As a musician I often find myself tapping out rhythms to all sorts of things: dripping water faucets, the click of heels on a pavement, the driving monotony of an engine, the ticking of a clock (if you still have a ticking clock!).  Rhythm has long fascinated me, and my very muscles and bones and the beat of my blood respond to its playful groupings, its shifting accents, its irresistible propulsion toward movement.  And because of that, I love African and African American music, which is why Master Chorus Eastside is in rehearsal right now for our upcoming Out of Africa concert in May.  It’s an infectious mix of African choral music and the styles that grew from the melding of African and European music in the Americas, styles which are unique in the world.

Slavery was a terrible, dehumanizing institution, both for the enslaved peoples and for those who enslaved others.  But because of it we have spirituals, jazz, blues, gospel, ragtime, samba, tango; they are the vigorous children of the enforced marriage of African rhythm and European harmony and melody, and they are a part of the American psyche.  I once attempted a slow-jazzy Gershwin prelude in my piano lessons.  It was just a little too difficult for me but it was so much fun to play; felt as natural as breathing.  My Russian piano teacher commented that, as Americans, it was “in our blood.”  Made me think!  MCE is exploring some of those styles in our concert, and we are having a ball delving into our musical roots.

As you move through your day, pay attention to the rhythm of your movements.  As you bend down and up, as you walk, talk, blink, move your hands, turn your head, as people and objects move around you, is there rhythm to be discovered?


This is the stuff of music!


Dr. Linda Gingrich
Artistic director and conductor
Master Chorus Eastside

No comments:

Post a Comment